Re: Disappointment about the appearance of our CLT booth

From: Axel Beckert <abe_at_deuxchevaux.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:01:45 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 02:50:57PM +0100, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> So, what am I talking about? Well, it's just that I don't think, that we
> did a very good job. Look for example at [1], where someone mistook the
> booth of the sidux project for our own. [...[
>
> 1: http://gallery.kickino.org/chemnitzer_linux_tage/chemnitzer_linux_tage_2009/img_0397.jpg.html

Just talked with Sebastian (kickino) on IRC after I read this
paragraph.

He seemed not having mistaken the Sidux booth for the Debian booth at
the fair. He just saw the "Debian logo" when writing the captions for
his pictures in the gallery:

10:44:42 <kickino> Ich wusste es nicht besser :(
10:45:19 <kickino> Hab' beim Durchschauen der Bilder hab' ich halt nur
                   das Debian-Logo gesehen und deshalb die
                   Beschriftung so gewählt.

So I would say this example is mostly based on the closeness of Sidux'
logo to the Debian Swirl (plus perhaps not having in mind the exact
appearances of the booths when labelling the photos) and not on the
appearance of the Debian booth itself.

Nevertheless I agree with Tolimar that Debian can do better and also
has done much better in the past, at CLT and elsewhere.

BTW, this case reminds me that although there was and still is a lot
of activity in the repositories around the Lenny release and Sid
unfreeze, I saw a lot of Debian inactivity in real life recently, e.g.
only four (!) Lenny release parties worldwide [2] compared to 29 Etch
release parties [3] two years ago. And on the Swiss Lenny release
party were only five people compared to about 20-30 people at the Etch
release party. So that improvised CLT booth somehow fits in there.

  [2] http://wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyLenny
  [3] http://wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyEtch

I don't see this as Debian going down in general (in contrary!), but I
slightly wonder what the reason for this real life inactivity could
be. The economical regression? People ony doing what they care most
about (releases, packages and flame wars on d-d_at_l.d.o? ;-)? Or can
Debian developers build packages and releases but not partying during
hibernation -- and it's mostly a winter vs. early summer thing?

                Regards, Axel

--
Axel Beckert - abe@deuxchevaux.org, abe@noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/