Re: Disappointment about the appearance of our CLT booth

From: Jan Wagner <waja_at_cyconet.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:26:23 +0100

Hi Julien,

as I'm also one of the guys running the booth (on saturday), I've to add some
to your mail.

I completly ack, that the booth _this year_ was far away from being perfect.
Most reasons are already targeted. Just a short side note ... all people
attending this year where also there in the last years, where it seems to be
much better ... so ... it may not just be a problem of the people running the
booth.

On Sunday 22 March 2009, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Andreas Tille <tillea_at_rki.de> wrote:
> > There is no reason for developers to spend their time to
> > have smalltalk with people.
>
> Those two lines really sum up your whole mail: you are way off.
>
> Smalltalk is exactly what we're doing in this kind of
> exhibitions. That's called "meeting the community", the other one, the
> *users* community. If you're not interested in that, I suggest you
> stick to high-profile technical conferences and don't run a booth
> again.

Knowing Andreas for a while and seeing how he is communicating every year at
CLT, you where using "smalltalk" in different understandings.

> Most people come to those exhibitions to have a look at this Linux
> thing and ask basic questions, sometimes even stupid questions. We
> answer them, show them our distro, walk them through some demos. If
> they're interested, they'll want to take a CD/DVD (or a LiveCD) home
> to try it out on their own.

Thats exactly what Andreas is doing there ... If you did read his mail
carefully, he is asking people, why they has the need for an installation
medium and is trying to find out, if they are really interested. That is
exactly what you define as "smalltalk".

> I appreciate that you gave some of your time to man a booth at an
> exhibition, but really, if you don't enjoy it, don't do it again.

Judging from time spending with Andreas there, he stated many times, that he
loves especially this event and even this was also my feeling.
Even if he is working on a problem on his laptop, which assumedly was raised
by a visitor, he is always so mindfull to recognize people needing help
standing beside/in from of the booth.

With kind regards, Jan.

--
Never write mail to <waja_at_spamfalle.info>, you have been warned!