small Linuxtag review [was: Re: Debian at the Linuxtag 2008 (2008-05-28 to -31, Berlin, Germany)]

From: Noèl Köthe <noel_at_debian.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 22:08:17 +0200

Hello,

Am Sonntag, den 09.03.2008, 13:28 +0100 schrieb Noèl Köthe:

> http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxTag2008

Just a small review of last weeks Linuxtag in Berlin, Germany.

Short: it was fun, not empty and more people asked _how many_ people
asked about the SSL problem than people asking about the SSL problem.;)

We shared the booth with the well known FAI project.
Setup was done on Tuesday by Paul Sladen, Thomas Lange and me and
everything we needed were there. We had a beamer, a PC, Internet, a EEE
PC and a FAI setup with a FAI server (=laptop) and a FAI Client machine.
On all days I didn't had the impression it were empty or boring. There
were always somebody there who wanted to get answers to her/his question
or to talk with.
Nobody told me they are angry about the SSL problem just everybody had
alot of work with it. Only three or four asked me about information or
details of the SSL problem. More people were interested how many people
asked about SSL. Somebody asked if Kurt Roeckx is still working in
Debian and he was glad that he is.
We answered the question about the lenny / 5.0 release with fall 2008.

We pointed alot of people to http://wiki.debian.org/ if they asked for
documentation or more info and alot of them didn't know this good source
of information. Maybe we should link it on the debian.org start page?

We had two EEE PC which got alot of question about installing and runing
Debian on it and we pointed them the the wiki page and told them our
experience with this device and Debian.

We were not enough people to help people practicaly on their
laptops/machines to fix problems which can be improved next time but
depends on the booth staff.

Ian Murdock visited us on Friday:
http://blog.venthur.de/2008/05/31/linuxtag-2008/

We bought drinks for the booth staff and Linuxtag distributed sponsored
food to the projects so we could eat, drink and talk the whole day.;)

I will transfer the money we got for merchandising to the people I got
the stuff from and the corresponding donotations and money for the
posters to FFIS, Germany.

Thanks alot to Bastian, Nico, Paul, Ralf, Roland, Thomas and the people
I forgot for their help running the booth!

See you soon somewhere.

--
Noèl Köthe <noel debian.org>
Debian GNU/Linux, www.debian.org