Re: Question about being an exhibitor at Dreamhack Winter 2008

From: Wouter Verhelst <wouter_at_debian.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:01:32 +0200

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:22:45PM +0200, _max_ wrote:
> Greetings Debian event team!
>
> I'm known as _max_ , and i am one of the volunteers who work for Dreamhack.
> Currently the worlds largest LAN festival.
>
> Currently at dreamhack there is a great absence of Scene, Hacking and Linux.
> However this is something that we are -really- trying to change.
>
> Me and a few other people who work for Dreamhack are trying to bring
> together people to create a linux section for dreamhack, At Elmia (the
> exhibition center dreamhack is held in) there is a area called "E area", in
> this area we want to achieve 4 things.
>
> 1. A Keynote/Hearing area where different distributions, security people,
> hacking people, scene people can give lectures, hold hearings and keynotes
> with a bigscreen projector and pa system.
>
> 2. A Distro area, an area where many large distributions have their own
> small areas with some pc's setup with their distro, where people can have a
> hands on experience, and be told why they should use specifically that
> distribution. Hopefully these pc's will be sponsored by one of Dreamhacks
> hardware sponsors.
>
> 3. A hacking area, where we have setup different operating systems with
> price money upon finding a system exploit.

This is really a "cracking" area, I gather :)

> 4. A Chill lounge with lots of beanbags, sofas and tables where people can
> sit down and just talk about the good stuff in life :)
>
> So my question to Debian is if there are any people that are interested in
> coming to Sweden for a 4 day event, where they can talk and spread the word
> of Linux.

It might help if you could give a bit more information:
- Where exactly will Dreamhack happen? (city, ...)
- When will this event take place?
- Is this a free event, or is there an entrance fee?
- ...

Depending on budget and time constraints, I might be interested in
going...

> Sofar distributions such as Ubuntu, Redhat, SuSE, Gentoo have been
> contacted, trying to get in touch with some more though :)
> If anyone would like to come, are these people skilled in keynote/talking in
> front of people?
> Does Debian have a budget for PR? If not we might have a solution for this.

No; Debian is an all-volunteer organization, and PR usually happens
because volunteers want to provide it.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22