Re: Re: CeBIT

From: Michael Bramer (grisu@debian.org)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 22:57:49 CET

    On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 02:22:10PM +0100, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
    > > Secondly how is it lookign with the computer when have on the booth.
    > > Is screen and pc all-ready and do we know how we will set it up, with
    > > what etc. ?
    >
    > Does anybody know about that? If you have any good ideas what to show
    > that would probably be appreciated...

    I can give some infos about this:
      I write a mail to LL and I have requested a normal PC with TFT-Monitor
      (normal office pc). LL will make a backup from the whole disk and we
      can fdisk/install/... the pc.

      On the first day Alexander must install the pc with debian. Alexander
      should have some CDs with debian and install this.

      I have requested a internet connection too. Last time we have a dsl
      like connection via a dsl router. (We don't need make this dsl setup.)
      After the install he can upgrade to testing/sid etc. via net.

      Please Alexander don't make a full install. If you had X and net
      working, you can start your demos.

    some thoughts:
     - don't install any package on the pc with the installation. If
       someone ask 'have you XXX?', say: 'not jet', type apt-cache search,
       apt-get install and show the request package/programm.
     - Don't use KDE. (KDE is not evil, but the visitors see this on _any_
       linux like booth.) You can install it, you can start a second X
       server with KDE running, and show it on request. But don't use it
       with your normal demo.
     - if you don't know some thing, say it. (we all not a expert in all
       tasks) But maybe you can search with the visitor in the internet
       for the answer of his question. Also you can use the IRC-Net for
       this 'hot questions'. Use the debian community!
     - If you can, show things on request. Like building debian package,
       config things, installing packages, apt pinning.
     - Importent: talk about free software! Without this freedom, this all
       is not possible. Educate the visitors about this importent fact.

    > > And by the way, I can bring 80 gb. of Debian mirror on a harddrive if
    > > needed. Just need to know exactly what we need to mirror.
    >
    > Won't hurt. Do we have internet access by the way?

    We should have on. If not, I will send a warning mail.

    Gruss
    Grisu

    --
    Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
    Prozessoren und RAM-Ausbau sind Statussymbole f?r DAU's.