Re: Negative statement of intent

From: Manoj Srivastava (srivasta@debian.org)
Date: Sun May 26 2002 - 20:27:27 CEST

>>"Michael" == Michael Holzt <kju@fqdn.org> writes:

>> If you should be going to create new flyers and get them printed,
>> don't expect any support from for them from myself.

 Michael> Fine. But please stop here for a while and ask yourself:

 Michael> 'Am I helping the debian project with this? Or is my fith
 Michael> for my own personal believes doing damage to the project?'

        This is subjective, of course, but I think sending out the
 message that we eat our own dog food, and use only free software, is
 a good one.

        Remember how the Unysis fiasco went down, when they were using
 a UNIX server to denigrate UNIX OS'? They were laughed out of town
 for not using the solutions they were proposing.

 Michael> Sometimes it is more helpful for the big picture to accept a
 Michael> compromise.

        Similar arguments w4ere advanced before we had the DFSG:
 people were saying that being free to distribute was good enough,
 that we needed to compromise in order to survive. I think
 distributing evaluation copies of commercial software was proposed,
 sice that would bring in ``revenue''.

        Guess what, we survive, despite the DFSG.

        I fully support Joey here.

        manoj

--
 Finagle's Eighth Law: If an experiment works, something has gone
 wrong.  Finagle's Ninth Law: No matter what results are expected,