Re: Non-free Binary Modules in the kernel

From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 11:55:51 CEST

Martin Schulze wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > It seems that despite the search
> > our current version of Freie Software Knoppix still
> > has the binary driver kernel issue.
>
> Anthony Towns already pointed out that this is an old issue which we
> thought was dealt with. <http://lwn.net/Articles/3467/>
>
> > Debian is also battling it, some overview news in
> > http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2004/15/
>
> Anthony was not very clear with his output and I have to admit that I
> was confused by it. In his weblog he later stated that this is not a
> release-critical issue for the upcoming sarge release. Hence, I

Oh, and in a private mail he said that I completely misunderstood
him... A kingdom for non-ambiguous output...

> wonder if it would really make sense to change the kernel on Knoppix
> as well, and not "trust" Debian's separation of non-free, even if the
> kernel is problematic at least.

Looks like a couple of incidents happened recently:

 1. The Debian project has passed a general resolution that covered
    editorial amendments to their social contract. It is clear from
    now on that Debian does not cover only software but also other
    content (graphics, movies, documentation, firmware, blobs).

 2. The release manager doesn't believe that he can justify any longer
    to ignore non-free firmware blobs and non-free documentation for
    the upcoming release.

Hence, Bernhards argument still stands at least.

However, I wonder if we are able to support this for the current
Knoppix or Live GNU/Linux issues, since it would mean a lot of work to

 . check and eventually strip non-free documention

 . remove, recompile and repackage XFree86 and Linux

 . exchange the included XFree86 and Linux

I agree that this are issues we need to discuss and decide upon.

In terms of practicability I would like to propose the following:

 . document problems with these

 . continue as before and release the first set of images so that they
   will get attention, userbase and maybe more people who are willing
   to work on eventually

 . either decide to ignore the above issues until Debian 3.1 is
   released since Debian won't change their packages earlier anyway,
   or work on them one after one so that a future release of Live
   GNU/Linux would be more free than the last one.

The only stupid question is the unasked one.