Re: Non-free Binary Modules in the kernel

From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 19:58:26 CEST

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> It seems that despite the search
> our current version of Freie Software Knoppix still
> has the binary driver kernel issue.

Anthony Towns already pointed out that this is an old issue which we
thought was dealt with. <http://lwn.net/Articles/3467/>

> Debian is also battling it, some overview news in
> http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2004/15/

Anthony was not very clear with his output and I have to admit that I
was confused by it. In his weblog he later stated that this is not a
release-critical issue for the upcoming sarge release. Hence, I
wonder if it would really make sense to change the kernel on Knoppix
as well, and not "trust" Debian's separation of non-free, even if the
kernel is problematic at least.

Linux - the choice of a GNU generation.