Locally generated timestamp not seen on messages sent to remote syslog server

From: Lawrence Stefani <LStefani_at_fortresstech.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:25:49 -0400

Hello,

I'm using sysklogd 1.5.0 distribution and am not seeing the locally
generated timestamp on the remote syslog server. I can see the proper
timestamp in the local file, but if I add a remote syslog server entry
to /etc/syslog.conf, the messages logged on the server always have the
local time of that server. I've tried multiple remote syslog server
applications with various combinations of "use embedded timestamp"
options selected but the timestamp displayed is always that of the
server.

There are numerous discussions on the Web that questioned the RFC3164
"compliance" of syslog daemon implementations, specifically regarding
syslog messages sent to a remote server, but nothing that pointed to the
sysklogd distribution. Some discussions veered into RFC3339 date/time
support over the simpler day, month, hour, minute, second timestamp, but
again nothing regarding sysklogd.

Has anyone been able to use sysklogd to transmit local time? I
understand the value of a remote server using its time when the sending
device lacks reliable time support (e.g. no RTC, no NTP support, etc.).
However, when the device does have a working clock, it can be useful to
preserve that timestamp.

Thanks,
Larry Stefani