Re: Debian event pre FOSDEM?

From: Holger Levsen <holger_at_layer-acht.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 14:29:49 +0000

hi,

context for hsbxl.be folks:

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 02:12:25PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> so at dc19 we came up with the idea of having a Debian event pre- or
> post-FOSDEM, an event like DebCamp or maybe a bug squashing party, so
> mostly self/unorganized.
>
> The only thing we would need is suitable room, and probably someone
> paying for it.
>
> And we'd need to agree on the dates. There's a ruby sprint after FOSDEM
> in Paris, so I suppose we should go with before FOSDEM.
>
> One idea would be to do it in the Brussels hackerspace, if they are
> still in the same place as they were this year I think it would fit.
> Does anyone have contacts to them and could ask?
>
> Anybody willing and able to go hunting for a suitable place in Brussels?
> I believe this should happen *now* as people already started to book their
> travels...

so I was just made aware of
https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2019q4/002944.html where the
Brussels hackerspace (HSBXL) offered their space
(https://media.hsbxl.be/intro.webm) for groups like us.

Assuming this offer still stands, I believe a group of Debian
enthusiasts would like to come by from Wednesday to Friday before
FOSDEM. Do you think that would be possible so that we can "officially"
start planning this?

I suppose that would mean creating a wiki page and collecting info who
will be attending so that we all have a better idea what will be
happening there. Assuming that FOSDEM attracts *many* Debian developers
(more than 100?) I'd expect at least 23 people showing up on Wednesday
(though wouldn't be surprised about less, it's a work week after all) and
maybe 42 on Friday... and as I remember the space from this FOSDEM I
think even 42+23 people would fit.

What do you think, can we, shall we, do this?

--
cheers,
	Holger