Re: FoodSDEM! (was Re: Debian at FOSDEM 2011: Squeeze Release Party in Brussels?)

From: Axel Beckert <abe_at_debian.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:21:53 +0100

Hi,

sorry for not writing earlier, but even without FOSDEM approaching
it would be a quite busy time here at the moment.

Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> >would prefer a calmer setting like going out for dinner or so, at
>
> My “group” was also looking for a place, and I insisted on Couscous
> Merguez because I’ve yet to get some in Germany… so Benny found a
> place: http://madamolsen.be/
>
> They also have things like lamb steaks and other mixed origin foods,
> Dansk as well if I read that weird language ☺ right.

Hmmm, they seem to have even vegetarian food.

> Best of all: walk out of Avenue Paul Héger then up to the roundabout,
> turn left and you’re there… so it’s close enough (we used to eat at
> Le petit poisson which was about there until 3? years ago).

So it's close to the venue. Hmmm. Could be an advantage although I
initially thought about something more towards the hotels in the city
centre.

Off-list I got at least two suggestions:

1. Monk, that bar where the Debian crowd was the last two years and
   which is close to Hotel Astrid where most FSFE fellows stay. While
   it was smoke-free two years ago it was too smokey for my and
   others' taste last year. Suggested by gregoa on IRC.

2. Chez Moeder Lambic. Suggested by Fabio Rosciano in a mail directed
   to just me and Wouter. He wrote:

| I was reading your messages on debian-event-eu [1] and even though I
| won't be in Brussels for FOSDEM I'd like to suggest a possible location
| for a nice party for Squeeze.
| I was thinking Chez Moeder Lambic in Fontainasplein [2,3] is a good
| choice. Here are pros and cons
|
| + It has a "backroom" at the end of the main room which can fit about 15
| to 20 people, and anyway the place is never packed on a saturday
| + Easy access to cheap and plentiful food supply in the neighborhood,
| even though the bar itself only serves snacks
| + Excellent choice of beer on tap and bottled
| + Night busses have their terminal right in front of the bar, so easy
| way home for everyone
| + Staff is mostly english speaking
| + Smoke free
|
| - Beer is slightly more expensive than other bars (no cheap lager)
| - It's the "touristy" version of the bar in St.Gillis, and while the
| staff is very friendly, has less character than the original
|
| I hope it helps and everyone have a great time in Brussels!
|
| [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-events-eu/2011/01/msg00045.html
| [2] http://www.moederlambic.eu/
| [3] http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=15856210285536974603&q=MDHLambic&dtab=2&sll=50.850951,4.394765&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ie=UTF8&ll=50.845981,4.344792&spn=0,0&t=h&z=18

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Now we should choose one of
those, I suspect. ;-)

Thorsten, Benny: How smokey is this Madam Olsen place?

Basically my personal preference would be a non-smokey restaurant
(with at least more than vegetarian meal on the menu) over a bar, but
on the other hand, we currently plan to sell the first Squeeze
t-shirts at the release party, so a room of our own wouldn't be a bad
idea either. IIRC while the front part of the Monk bar was quite
crowded, the back part was quite open and we would have had enough
space for a t-shirt box besides the tables. :-)

So would anyone who speaks French (or Dutch?) take care of reserving a
table?

                Regards, Axel

--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin