Providing/selling CDs at events (was: RMLL/LSM Bordeaux, 6 to 11 july 2010)

From: Sebastian Harl <tokkee_at_debian.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:25:52 +0100

Heya,

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:01:13PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Axel suggestion of making people pay for the CDs is the good one,
> IMHO. That way people will be less likely to get something just to throw
> it away (and that is the *real* waste). We can for instance sell 1 DVD
> for 1 euro and explain to people that we do that on purpose to avoid
> that DVD are got just to be thrown away.

I agree that this is a good idea in general. However, imho, we should
not sell CDs that have been sponsored by third-party people / companies.
This would just be wrong, imho. What we have done in the past, though
(e.g. LinuxTag), is to ask people for a donation when taking a CD (in
that case). From my experience, people who do not really want a CD are
usually "frightened away" by that.

> I believe people will also additionally like this argument of ours. We
> can even write it on the DVD cover, FWIW (e.g.: respect the
> environment, buy a DVD only if you need it, otherwise use the
> network).

Sounds like a nice idea to me.

Cheers,
Sebastian