Re: RMLL/LSM Bordeaux, 6 to 11 july 2010

From: Axel Beckert <abe_at_deuxchevaux.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:47:58 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 11:06:56AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Brief summary of what I've just discussed with Xavier on IRC. It's just
> a list of suggestions based on my (very limited!) experience at the
> Debian booth at FOSDEM 2010. I've been there only for a few hours, so
> I'm sure that Axel and other people which did way more grunt work than
> me will have more/better suggestions:

... or just acknowledge your's at least. :-)

> - people still ask for CD/DVDs, have some around

Indeed.

Although it has been decided once that we don't give out CDs anymore
(because "they get thrown away anyway" IIRC), I think we should
reconsider this decision. At least I want to have CDs for people who
ask for them at next year's FOSDEM.

To be more exact: I'd like to have Debian Live CDs or DVDs, grml CDs
(maybe also grml USB sticks) and sidux[TM] CDs at next year's FOSDEM
booth. Because I like to emphasize, that Debian has quite some
"downstream distros" and (mostly :-) good relations with them.

IMHO it's though ok if we sell them for little money instead of just
giving them away for free. Then those who really want some, can get
some, those who just collect them and never use them won't do that if
they have to buy them. And if they do anyway, _we_ don't have to pay
for those thrown away CDs.

> - Xavier is already in touch with Sledge for UK t-shirts; people like
> Debian.ch t-shirts too, get in touch with Luca (gismo_at_d.o) to have
> some of them

The Debian.ch t-shirts are currently at my home. "apt-get install
anarchism" t-shirts are at my home and at Luca's home since he
couldn't bring all of them to FOSDEM by plane. Some t-shirts are also
at madduck's home, but he's currently on holidays IIRC.

> - ditto for the debian.ch stickers

They're currently with me, too. (Including very few Debian
GNU/kFreeBSD stickers aka Horned Swirl stickers. :-)

But that may change back to Luca. Best is probably to currently
contact us both.

> - people liked a lot the Debian mugs produced by Credativ (if I'm not
> mistaken), we had too few of them: get in touch with formorer_at_d.o to
> check how to get some

He still has a lot of them at Credativ AFAIK. We had far too little of
them at FOSDEM (formorer knows it already :-), they were sold out
within a few hours.

> - even if it is not needed for RMLL (they have metallic grids to hang
> banners on) in general we need some "foldable banner support"
> (e.g. [1], random image from the web), because we have some heavy
> banners which can't stand on the wall with duct tape only

I wonder if the Tesa PowerStrips I planned to buy but forgot would
have done it. Then again, the window behind the booth wasn't very
clean.

> [1] http://tinyurl.com/yzgftmk

http://www.longurlplease.com/

                Regards, Axel