Re: Disappointment about the appearance of our CLT booth

From: Andreas Tille <tillea_at_rki.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:44:01 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Ferdi Thommes wrote:

> I do this for 2 reasons:
> - sidux is debian
> - I am trying to create a better relationship between the 2 projects
> (have not made much progress as far as relationship goes)

That's a shame and I would really like to talk about this. At least next
years CLT should be used for this. I'd suggest a meeting after official
part has closed to hav enough time for this.

> Does anybody have a problem with neighbouring booths or my reasoning?

Nothing against neighbouring booths. I'm not sure whether I really agree
about "sidux is debian" (IMHO ist is s/ is / uses /) - but perhaps this
should be discussed somewhere else than in this thread.

> The debian booth was not very well organised for reasons mentioned above in
> this thread. I am sure a project as big as debian can do better.

It can (as proven in other years) and should.

> When it comes to CDs (i 'donated' 150 Lenny CDs, debian didnt have any due to
> above mentioned organisational problems) as giveaway i think they are a must.

Yes, they are. Thanks again for the donation.

> I agree we do not have to feed the collectors but this specimen is not seen
> much on CLT anyways. I was quite disappointed to find about half of the CDs i
> provided in a corner after we took down the booth. That was not very
> friendly.

Yes - this really sucks. I'm very sorry for this. When I came on Friday
the CDs just were there and I was not aware that there is another set lying
around somewhere else. That's a shame.

> Let me phrase some possible problems that might have been created by sidux.
> Someone mentioned that we had more than the 4 booth staff granted by Orga. (I
> never understood this as a limit but only as a limit to how many staff will
> have all the benefits like no entrance fee, free food...) Yes, all in all we
> were 11. sidux e. V. (german equivalent to a foundation) organises these
> events and gives members the chance to be part of the project.

I see no problems in having more Sidux people on the booth. I admit sometimes
it was crowded - but I would not call it "problem that might have been created
by sidux".

> I instructed these members to not just hang around at the booth but get the
> full experience with attending talks and workshops and look at the other
> projects. From my view this worked out. We had a max of 5-6 supporters there
> at the same time and those were needed. We had quite a few people bringing in
> problematic notebooks and i know at least of 2 that got ~ 4 hours support
> each binding 2 supporters already.

That's great!

> I know it was quite crowded there, namely on Saturday which was very busy
> allover. What are the impressions of the debian staffers regarding the
> situation?

No problem with this.

> As a result i would like to propose for sidux and debian to talk before
> conventions (here on the list or on #debian.de) about the projets plans for
> their booth to have a better experience for the user. They are who we do it
> for.

I'm in favour of this.

Kind regards

           Andreas.