Re: Disappointment about the appearance of our CLT booth

From: Meike Reichle <meike_at_debian.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:25:17 +0100

Hi all

Michael Mohn said/sagte on/am 21.03.2009 15:34:

> i don't now anything on how you organize those fairs and what budget
> there is and so on.. i know there will probably be nothing leftover for
> a nice impression.
> on the other hand: when you can't do it right, maybe save the pennies
> for appearance on fewer shows and do it nice there?

I don't think the problem is that we don't *know* how to do a proper
booth. Everybody who was at the CLT for Debian has been doing these kinds
of events for a couple years already.
In my opinion the problem is more that keeping up a good booth requires
some discipline, both in the preparation and (probably even more) the
actual event. As Julien said, refraining from your laptop or from having
long talks with your friends instead of the users is not what we usually
do and thus requires some kind of conscious and constant effort.

As I see it we've in recent times become somewhat lax in this regard.
We all know perfectly well what a good booth should be like and there's
plenty places to read up on that kind of stuff. So maybe we should just
all pull ourselves together once more and put some more effort in our
exhibition presences like we used to do and thus avoid such glitches in
the future. We certainly owe it to our users and the people providing us
with the opportunities to show off our project at their events.

Best,
Meike