Re: Debian at Chemnitzer Linuxtage 2005

From: Thomas Templin <templin@gnuwhv.de>
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 11:21:38 CET

Hello Gaudenz
Greetings to wilhelm-tux :)

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 10:29, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 08:56:09AM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > On Monday 07 March 2005 22.52, Nočl Köthe wrote:
> > > As always
> > > some asked for the difference to SuSE
> >
> > To highlight the fact that Debian is not a company, but a
> > community project, Alexander Schmehl and I had the idea of
> > showing #debian-devel, #debian-bugs and/or #debian on a beamer -
> > draw the eyes of the crowd as they can see right into the
> > 'development lab' of Debian.
>
> I think this is a good idea, because it is always very difficult to
> demonstrate what's so special and exciting about Debian.
>
> OTOH it could also have a negative impact depending on the style of
> discussion going on in the specific IRC channel. But showing IRC
> alternating with a persentation like eyecatcher could be a good
> thing.
May be it's an Idea to have some kind of DEBIAN-Universe Poster which
shows all Debian cdd's in a map like style. And where all connections
are shown by linking lines like a mesh / net.

Not only the original debian cdd's but also the debian flavours which
where offered by companies, eg. EROSS-3 of credativ in the public
sector and others. This will show that debian is a platform which
generates a common good on which companies set up their own buisines,
aside giving support for "the Debian" itself.

Doing so this might give 'political' arguments to people of the public
sector or governmental institutions.

- It may help people to see which cdd is the best for their needs
- It will show that Debian has a couple of flavours like other
  Distributors. Eg. enterprise, desktop, $FOO distributions
- It may cause some confusion for visitors. But it will bring other
  questions than "When will Sarge be released.", at least I hope so...
- It might be a chance to winn more people to support Debian. So my
  medicus / doctor always asks me "Whats new in Debian med?". :)
  I introduced debian-med to her last year.
  BTW. I think that debian-med has the perspective to become as
  successful as skolelinux / Debian Edu. The costs of software in the
  medical field are horrible here in germany.

Bye,
Thomas