Re: Back from the roadshow: Some news

From: Alexander Schmehl <alexander@schmehl.info>
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 00:26:45 CET

Moin!

* Thomas Templin <templin@gnuwhv.de> [041102 23:39]:

> > Some news what we accomplished during the last conferences here in
> > germany (a more detailed report will follow, I'm still a bit
> > exhausted):
> Seems youre getting old, young man.
> *laugh*

No, it's just, that there are days where you don't have time for
anything, not even for sleeping. And october was such a day.

> > - one of our subprojects / custom Debian distribution one a
> > price: Debian-Edu / Skolelinux one the Linux New Media award
> > 2005 as best newcomer distribution
> YEAHH!
> ((c:

Just for the record: Debian won the Linux New Media award in the
categorie »best distribution« in 2002 and 2003. I think it got boring
to Linux New Media, so they decided to drop the categorie »best
distribution« in favour of the categorie »best newcomeer distribution«.
Damn, we were so close to a hattrick ;)

But it's okay, 4 of 6 nominees in this new categorie were Debian spin
offs :)

> > about LinuxWorld Expo 2005: - We will get a bigger booth (perhaps 15
> > squaremeters) - organization of the .Org pavillion (where the free
> > projects are) will be done in cooperation with Thomas Templin from
> > the FSF Europe and (sigh) me
> That's what a chief event organisator (ceo) is expected to do, isn't
> it? ((c:

Yeah, I know, but it would habe been nice, if you have asked me before
you told them ;)

> BTW, I talked to some of the bigger projects that it might be a good
> idea to have some kind of meta booth crew. This was because some
> projects have problems to ensure propper booth setup due to the
> circumstance that in this year those who set up boothes at the past
> events have gone.

You mean to stuff like organizing accomodation, print posters so their
booth wals don't look that naked, organize hardware and all that?

> > about CeBIT 2005: - We will have a bigger booth (8-12 square meter,
> > perhaps more)
> Uuups, new Info? Who told so? Isn't there a so called "OpenSource"
> Pavillon like this year?

At the end of this years CeBIT I got the promise for a bigger booth. We
were guest at the booth of LinuxLand and had just a small demo point.
Often we were so crowded, that you could think, LinuxLand was guest at
the Debian booth.

During the LWE I asked LinuxNewMedia, who organizes the LinuxPark, if I
can still count on this promise, and - since we got some other offers
for a CeBIT presentation and needed to decide fast - for the minumin
size we could expect.

All I know yet is the following:
- There will be a LinuxPark as in the last years
- We will have an at least 8 square meter big booth for the entire CeBIT
- There will be a Pavillion for free projects
- I neither know, if other free projects will have only a part time
  repressentantion, of if there will be other projects with a full time
  booth, too, nor do I know, if our booth will be in the Pavillion for
  free projects

All I know is, that we are not as near to the LinuxFormum as we were the
last two years. On the one hand this is bad, since beeing a direct
neighbour of the LinuxForum garanties you a crowded booth. On the other
hand this is good, since beeing a direct neighbour of the LinuxForum
garanties you a hoarsely voice.

> > - it will be our very own booth; in the last years we were
> > guests at the booth of LinuxLand
> An own Debian booth amongst the bothes of a couple of companies or an
> own booth at an "OpenSource" Pavilon?

See above.

> > - again we will be in the LinuxPark, but not very near to the
> > LinuxForum, where the talks will be held - we had a nice idea
> > about give away DVDs; it's to early to tell details, but if
> > everything works out, as we hope, we will have a DVD, outshining
> > this years LinuxTag DVD - we already got some offers for
> > hardware to show at CeBIT
> You talking about the company that supported Systems?

No, I talk about the companie, who supported us at the LinuxWorldExpo.

> > - we might get quite cheap accomodations - since we are not
> > allowed to sell merchandising,
> What has to be changed! I'm working on that...

Good luck.

> > Hannover is a quite expensive place during CeBIT, and AFAIK we
> > are not allowed to collect donations,
> Nanu... Who told so? That has to be changed too, I would say...

Yes, it would be nice, if we could do so. If we are not allowed to
collect donations directly, we should have flyers avaible, telling
people how to send us donations via FFIS.

That said: We should have had such flyers ready on LWE, too.

> > - Since our booth will be bigger, we'll need more people to man
> > it. We are currently thinking about 2-4 people, probably Jörg
> > Jaspert and me during the entire show, and other volunteers for
> > the last days
> Skolelinux DE will join the crew! CeBIT will take place only two
> weeks after LOTS Bern, Switzerland I can't promise in the moment that
> there will be much more than 6 people from Skolelinux DE.

Did you read my mail? I said 8 square meters, perhaps more. We don't
have enough space for so much people.

> Mr A. Schmehl, (The young guy, who is supposed to be older than he
> feels) Debian Society, CEO Germany / Central Europe *laught*

Hmmm... I think, I'm going to contact our sponsor. I need new business
cards :)

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander