Re: Back from the roadshow: Some news

From: Thomas Templin <templin@gnuwhv.de>
Date: Tue Nov 02 2004 - 23:39:11 CET

Moin moin
On Tuesday 02 November 2004 22:06, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
[...]
> Some news what we accomplished during the last conferences here in
> germany (a more detailed report will follow, I'm still a bit
> exhausted):
Seems youre getting old, young man.
*laugh*

> about LinuxWorld Expo 2004 Frankfurt:
> - as usual you could recognize our booth simply it was the most
> crowded one
> - we answered many questions, showed visitors many tricks, and
> sold some merchandising stuff
> - although my .Org-Session was at 6pm, nearly 30 people attended
> my talk about sarge (while I expected less than 10 at this late
> hour) - we made some nice and funny pictures
> - one of our subprojects / custom Debian distribution one a
> price: Debian-Edu / Skolelinux one the Linux New Media award
> 2005 as best newcomer distribution
YEAHH!
((c:

> about LinuxWorld Expo 2005:
> - We will get a bigger booth (perhaps 15 squaremeters)
> - organization of the .Org pavillion (where the free projects
> are) will be done in cooperation with Thomas Templin from the
> FSF Europe and (sigh) me
That's what a chief event organisator (ceo) is expected to do, isn't
it? ((c:

BTW, I talked to some of the bigger projects that it might be a good
idea to have some kind of meta booth crew. This was because some
projects have problems to ensure propper booth setup due to the
circumstance that in this year those who set up boothes at the past
events have gone.

Up to now Bernd from OpenOffice.org (who is a professional booth
builder) Wim and Dan from OpenBSD are interested.
Plus Alexander and me that might become a powerfull crew which may be
helpfull organisating bothes.

What is of interest in my eyes is that we will be able to get better
support by hardware vendors and by the officials of trade fairs. For
the second its interesting to reduce the number of projects / people
they have to coordinate.

> - next year it will be from 15th to 17th of November
>

> about CeBIT 2005:
> - We will have a bigger booth (8-12 square meter, perhaps more)
Uuups, new Info?
Who told so?
Isn't there a so called "OpenSource" Pavillon like this year?

> - it will be our very own booth; in the last years we were
> guests at the booth of LinuxLand
An own Debian booth amongst the bothes of a couple of companies or an
own booth at an "OpenSource" Pavilon?

> - again we will be in the LinuxPark, but not very near to the
> LinuxForum, where the talks will be held
> - we had a nice idea about give away DVDs; it's to early to tell
> details, but if everything works out, as we hope, we will have
> a DVD, outshining this years LinuxTag DVD
> - we already got some offers for hardware to show at CeBIT
You talking about the company that supported Systems?

> - we might get quite cheap accomodations
> - since we are not allowed to sell merchandising,
What has to be changed!
I'm working on that...

> Hannover is a quite expensive place during CeBIT, and AFAIK we
> are not allowed to collect donations,
Nanu...
Who told so?
That has to be changed too, I would say...

> we might need to finance a bit through FFIS, but it's still to
> early to think about details

> - Since our booth will be bigger, we'll need more people to man
> it. We are currently thinking about 2-4 people, probably Jörg
> Jaspert and me during the entire show, and other volunteers for
> the last days
Skolelinux DE will join the crew!
CeBIT will take place only two weeks after LOTS Bern, Switzerland I
can't promise in the moment that there will be much more than 6
people from Skolelinux DE.

> Yours sincerely,
> Alexander "call me C.E.O." Schmehl
Why the dots?

Mr A. Schmehl,
(The young guy, who is supposed to be older than he feels)
Debian Society,
CEO Germany / Central Europe
*laught*

Bye,