Re: Microsoft at LinuxTag

From: Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 17:38:33 CEST

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 04:14:44PM +0200, Sebastian Raible wrote:
> Hi Pierre, Jens, everyone,
>
> On Saturday 29 May 2004 15:11, Pierre Machard wrote:
> > We have nothing to prove to eyes of Microsoft employees. Stay
> > yourself :-)
> >
> > The only thing that it reveals is that FOSS is a real problem for
> > Microsoft. They consider us a real threat.

 <snip/>

> But having talked to someone yesterday, I now fear there might be some people
> from the community (or maybe thinking they were part of the community and now
> had to fight MS because of evangelism) starting arguments and fights with
> those guys at the Microsoft-booth and making the community look bad again.
> And that would not happen if they were not there.

From the good document
 How To Become A Hacker
 http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

 Q:. Do I need to hate and bash Microsoft?
 A:. No, you don't. Not that Microsoft isn't loathsome,
      but there was a hacker culture long before Microsoft
      and there will still be one long after Microsoft is history.
      Any energy you spend hating Microsoft
      would be better spent on loving your craft.
      Write good code Ñ that will bash Microsoft quite sufficiently
      without polluting your karma.

> Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

There is no way to control idiots[1]
Blocking MicroSoft to attend LinuxTag because an idiot
could start a fight with the MicroSoft employees
where FOSS community will be accounted for, is stupid.

> Maybe most importantly is to show people our work and show them how good it
> is. Like all the years before and I don't doubt we will. Like Pierre said.

And when LinuxTag is over, keep up to good work.

> Cheers,
> Sebastian

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] people that are missing the bigger picture.