Re: Debian CDs, games and german law

From: Josef Spillner (josef@ggzgamingzone.org)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 14:00:40 CEST

On Monday 16 June 2003 12:08, hauke wrote:
> I asked the BMFSFJ for an answer about the new "Jugendschutzgesetz" and the
> possibillity to give away Debian-CDs with games. I think it is possible,
> but I'm not a lawer ;)

You're lucky.
I tried to contact several institutions already but got only a few replies,
most of them were like "we'll give an answer soon", and one was an excuse for
the missing MX record for bpjm.bund.de.

> If somebody wants, feel free to translate.

One has to wonder about the relevance of German bureaucracy to the rest of the
world :)

{begin}

> Jugendschutzgesetz;
> Anwendbarkeit der Kennzeichnungspflichten bei Betriebssystemen

Youth Protection Law [JuSchG from here on]
Applicability of the obligation to mark [entertainment software] in
conjunction with operating systems [OM from here on]

> Ihr Schreiben vom 07. April 2003

> Sehr geehrter Herr Imendörffer,

Dear Mr. Imendörffer,

> die Obersten Landesjugendbehörden vertreten derzeit die Rechtsauffassung,
> dass Betriebssysteme nicht unter die Kennzeichnungspflicht des § 12 Abs. 1
> Jugendschutzgesetz (JuSchG) fallen, da das Abgrenzungskriterium für die
> Anwendung dieser Vorschrift der Inhalt des Trägermediums sein muss:
> Befindet sich auf diesem ein Spiel und prägt dieses den Gesamtcharakter und
> die Zweckbestimmung des Trägermediums wesentlich mit, ist er zu
> kennzeichnen. In Bezug auf Schutzzweck und Medienwirkung muss eine gewisse
> Vergleichbarkeit mit Spiel- und Filmmedien gegeben sein, die bei der
> Gesetzgebung im Blick waren, wenn es sich um einen solchen Bildträger
> handeln soll.

The Supreme Youth Authorities of the Länder are currently obeying the
assumption that operating systems are not affected by the OM defined in
JuSchG §12/1, because the applicability of the criteria is determined by the
content on the data medium:
Is there a game on it, which influences the characteristics and the usage of
the data medium, it has to be marked.
In relation to the aim of protection and media effect, a certain comparability
to game- and movie mediums as referenced during the creation of the law must
be given, to be able to treat it as such.

> Betriebssysteme sind derzeit mit Bildträgern mit Filmen und Spielen im
> Sinne von § 12 Abs. 1 Satz 1 JuSchG nicht vergleichbar, wenn sie als
> Beimaterial Spiele der bisher verwendeten Art im bisherigen Rahmen
> enthalten, da sie weder den Gesamtcharakter des Trägermediums, mit dem ein
> Betriebssystem verkauft wird, prägen, noch die Kaufentscheidung für dieses
> Trägermedium wesentlich beeinflussen können. Ein solches Trägermedium ist
> kein Bildträger im Sinne des Gesetzes.

Operating systems are currently not comparable with mediums carrying movies
and games as per JuSchG §12/1/1 if they contain games in the usual quantity
and quality, because neither the overall characteristics of the OS-carrying
medium nor the decision to buy the medium are influenced by them. Such a data
medium is not one as defined in JuSchG.

> Dies gilt selbstverständlich nur, wenn es sich um das gleiche Trägermedium
> (§ 1 Abs. 2 JuSchG) handelt. Sollten im Rahmen einer "Paketlösung"
> beispielsweise verschiedene Datenträger verkauft werden und neben einem
> Datenträger mit dem Betriebssystem ein separater Datenträger mit Spielen,
> dann unterliegt Letzterer den Kennzeichnungsbestimmungen des JuSchG. Im
> Übrigen beachten Sie bitte, dass Trägermedien nach §§ 18 Abs. 1, 15 Abs. 2
> und 3 JuSchG indiziert werden können.

This is only true if it's actually the same single data medium (JuSchG §1/2).
In case of a "packaging solution" with e.g. different data mediums, where a
medium carrying the OS is sold beside one carrying games, then the one with
the games on it is subject of OM of the JuSchG. Please also note that data
mediums can be banned according to JuSchG §18/1, §15/2 and §3.

> Die Obersten Landesjugendbehörden werden die Produktentwicklung auf dem
> Markt beobachten und falls feststellbar wird, dass die Anbieter Spiele
> verstärkt zusammen mit Betriebssystemen vermarkten und sich somit eine
> Relevanzverlagerung hinsichtlich des Schwerpunktes des Datenträgers ergibt,
> wird von der Anwendung des § 12 Abs. 1 JuSchG auszugehen sein.

The Supreme Youth Authorities of the Länder are going to have an eye on the
development of products on the market, and as soon as it becomes obvious that
games are offered more closely with operating systems and thus the relevance
shifts more towards games on the data medium, §12/1 might very likely be
applied.

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Regards

> Im Auftrag
>
> gez.
>
> Regina Käseberg

ppa Regina Käseberg

{end}

So it means if e.g. CD 1 contains the kernel (Mach+Hurd? :) Or Linux...) and
CD 2 contains Freeciv, Nethack and Moon-buggy, we're doomed.
Likewise, if all German authorities drop Windows and replace it with Debian,
the mentioned shift is going to occur, and we're also doomed.

It should also be noted that last year we had a KDE edu booth on LinuxTag, and
there are special exceptions for edu software in the law, but e.g. small
children must not be able to even see what's going on on the screens if the
pure-edu condition is not met, AFAIK.

But I'm neither a lawyer nor a good translator.
I am also not good at playing games but since I don't support distributions
which are unfriendly towards games (hence certain distros won't be used on any
server under my control), their assumption of that games do not determine
buying OSes is wrong.

Josef

--
Play for fun, win for freedom.