Re: status update LT 2003 CD

From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 08:15:47 CEST

Sven Hoexter wrote:
> > # Blackdown JDK
> > deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
> Well this is not real open source software and it's quite far away from being
> compatible with the DFSG.
>
> Should we include sources with non-free packages? IMO we should not do it but
> I would like to here some other comments on this issue.

I won't object if the source list for non-free components would be
commented out as an extra item. However I would object to having a
link to non-free components in place and if it would be bundled with a
free component which would make it more difficult for users to
distinguish between them.

However, which software packages are located in the non-free
component? Can't this component be skipped entirely?

We should emphasize strictly on Free Software instead.

Please keep in mind that want to represent the Debian Project which
once refused to include KDE in their distribution because the license
was considered inompatible, yet we must not promote real non-free
software now.

If you come from outside of Finland, you live in wrong country.
	-- motd of irc.funet.fi