Re: Linuxwochen Vienna, update

From: Andreas Kreuzinger (andy@skater.priv.at)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 14:50:59 CEST

    Hi !

    [ I'm not on the list. If your mail should reach me, please cc me. ]

    * Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> [2003-05-26 18:14]:
    [...snip...]
    > needed:
    > ========
    > keyboard/monitor for sun (@ndy?)
    [...snip...]
    > Andy, are you able to support us with a keyboard/monitor for the sparc?

    Yes, sure.
    The keyboard is not a problem, but:
    Our Sparc stations at the institute
    (http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/address/ if you are interested) are very
    selectiv which monitor they accept.
    That means, one monitor which works on one Sparc station doesn't work on
    a second one and vice versa. I can't say if it's the fault of the
    computer or the monitor.

    And I can't take a bunch of monitors with me to get one running.
    So we have a few options:
     o You come to the institute and test which monitor works. If you are
       coming from far away, this might be impossible for you.
     o I take an adapter (13W3 <--> VGA) and/or a cable (13W3 <--> BNC) with
       me and you organize a VGA monitor by yourself. (Be warned: TFT monitors
       usually won't work with older Sparcs.)
       If there are a lot of monitors available, one should fit.
     o I have a 17" monitor which worked with almost any computer. Still no
       guarantee.
     o A Sun GDM-20E20 (20", 18.3 inch viewable) with a 13W3 connector.
       Should work with any Sun.
     o We have a few 20" / 21" monitors from Nokia, Philips, Sony. If you
       know one (or more) model/type which works with your SS it might be
       possible that this one is available.

    Which option is the best for you?

    FYI: This event is from 5th to 7th june but I won't be there on 7th.
    So someone I know (personally!) should take the hardware after the event.
    Alfie?

    mfg @ndy

    --
    personal web site:  http://skater.priv.at/~andy/