Registered myself, 'nother suggestion

Frank Neumann (franky@viona.de)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:44:44 +0200 (MEST)

Hi folks,

ok, so I registered myself for the congress online yesterday (no doubt
I'll receive the invoice tomorrow). That means I'll be there for sure,
maybe already going on Wednesday (Sep 8) if we need to prepare things.
This also means I'll be going by car, so I can take Andreas with me
and probably another person coming from Karlsruhe (could be jae, I guess ;-).

Another suggestion/offer of what we could do at the booth is that I can
take my Wacom tablet with me and we can show how well it is already supported
under Linux/Gimp. Andreas' suggestion was to take his 4xx MHz PC with
him, which is reasonably fast for Gimp etc :-). This means we'd only have
to make sure he runs at least some kind of xfree86 3.3.3.1 (for better XInput
device support), and the rests in installed within a matter of minutes.

What could be shown nicely with Gimp then is how to work with PhotoCD images,
retouch them etc. I admit this is not precisely about demo'ing Debian,
but most other suggestions I have heard so far (running build daemon etc)
are not really very attractive, and Gimp probably IS a nice example because
we have these fine and easy-to-install packages of it that Ben Gertzfield
prepares (btw, I wonder if he's on vacation - still no 1.1.8? :-)
What we should also do there is demo'ing ttf support - also pretty easy
to install, I'd just take a TTF collection CD with me and we can use LOTS
of fonts. :-)

Apart from that, an idea would be how to create a more complex document (like
a leaflet) that consists of rendering (POVRay/moonlight/..) and/or otherwise
acquiring images (digital cameras? scanners? Sane? PhotoCD!), arranging/
retouching/labelling them (Gimp) and probably finally preparing them with
some text, tables etc. for print (teTeX with included images using a package
like graphicx, xfig, dvips, gv).

Ok, that's just suggestions, but at least it's a "real-world" example
(and I think I'd dare to demo that).

'nuff saif,
Frank (who is happy because just today he found out that you can actually
use the Wacom tablet AND mouse simultaneously, which didn't work 6 months
ago when I last tried it :-)

-
To unsubscribe: send mail to Majordomo@Infodrom.North.DE with the
text "unsubscribe debian-events-de" in the message body.