Re: Ciaran?

From: Ciaran O'Riordan (ciaran@member.fsf.org)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 17:20:11 CEST

Bernhard Reiter writes:
> BTW: Mailed a Free Software Knoppix to Ciaran (O'Riordan).
> He wanted to subscribe to the list.
> Ciaran: Are you there? Did the CDs arrive?

Hi Bernhard,

  Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the country, organising
conference stands, doing exams etc.

I've received the free software knoppix, and it works great. I've
mostly been testing Emacs, gcc, and openoffice.

I've noticed two small glitches so far.

The first is that computers which support only 6 VGA modes display an
error and a prompt when the bootloader passes vga=9 to Linux.

The other problem was a once-off. One time when using the CD, some
applications complained about files ending prematurely, shutdown &
reboot wouldn't work, and I saw a lot of "cloop" warnings on the
console. This was on someone elses computer so I couldn't stop to debug
it, and when I turned the computer off and tried it a second time
everything was fine.

IFSO needed some live GNU/Linux CD's for a conference stand recently but
we went with Morphix (minus the proprietary bits) because it has GNOME,
and we want GNU software to get as much exposure as possible. Also,
Morphix was easy to customise so we could put the IFSO logo on it.

If the purpose of the Live GNU/Linux CD is to create a Free Software
GNU/Linux CD, would you consider using Morphix as a base so that GNOME
can be used? (Morphix also has a KDE module if you need KDE.)

--
Ciarán O'Riordan
http://www.compsoc.com/~coriordan/