Re: Ciaran?

From: Bernhard Reiter (bernhard@intevation.de)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 18:22:14 CEST

Hi Ciaran,

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 04:20:11PM +0100, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the country, organising
> conference stands, doing exams etc.

No problem.

> I've received the free software knoppix, and it works great. I've
> mostly been testing Emacs, gcc, and openoffice.

Great!

> I've noticed two small glitches so far.
>
> The first is that computers which support only 6 VGA modes display an
> error and a prompt when the bootloader passes vga=9 to Linux.

Ah.
You can probably give better options on the boot promt then,
I guess.

> The other problem was a once-off. One time when using the CD, some
> applications complained about files ending prematurely, shutdown &
> reboot wouldn't work, and I saw a lot of "cloop" warnings on the
> console. This was on someone elses computer so I couldn't stop to debug
> it, and when I turned the computer off and tried it a second time
> everything was fine.

This happened to me once and then I cleaned the CD and it worked
fine again, so I guess this is a problem with a unclean CD or so.

> IFSO needed some live GNU/Linux CD's for a conference stand recently but
> we went with Morphix (minus the proprietary bits) because it has GNOME,
> and we want GNU software to get as much exposure as possible. Also,
> Morphix was easy to customise so we could put the IFSO logo on it.
>
> If the purpose of the Live GNU/Linux CD is to create a Free Software
> GNU/Linux CD, would you consider using Morphix as a base so that GNOME
> can be used? (Morphix also has a KDE module if you need KDE.)

Note that this this project was driven by maintenance reasons.
Knoppix is very famous in Germany (and other parts of the world).
A lot of project are based on it.
It is updated quite frequently.

So we just wanted to put the freedom back on Knoppix
and make that available.
Personally I do not have much experience with Morphix,
it might be possible to add the freedom to Morphix more easily.
This would be better for the goal to make just one Free Software LIVE CD.
It is a goal worth considering, but we have to look at the update cycles.

It might be that Knoppix turns out to be better maintained
and many users will go for Knoppix. They will probably accept a
Freie Software Knoppix, but not a Free Software Morphix, because
they do not know much about Morphix.

        Bernhard