Re: storm-pkg (Re: status of the CD)

Subject: Re: storm-pkg (Re: status of the CD)
From: Alexander Reelsen (ar@rhwd.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 10:51:33 CEST

Mornin'

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 12:42:49AM +0200, Peter Ganten wrote:
> Alexander Reelsen writes:
> > If we do present the other package tools at our booth, should we have them
> > on that CD as well? Or at least a need, which says where you're able to
> > obtain them?
>
> I don`t like the idea of including stormpkg on our CD, because
>
> a) we are planing to make a _debian_ CD, so we should concentrate on
> debian-tools, which are part of the official distribution.
I consider storm as a sort of debian. And if there are no debian-tools, we
can concentrate on, we need to switch, or leave them out and stick with
dselect and apt only.

> b) There is no upgrade path. If a user installs stormpkg from our CD,
> he has to include the stormix-site in his sources.list, because
> otherwise it can be removed by apt during a dist-upgrade, which is
> bad, if the user uses this tool as his main installation-tool.
> On the other side, if we include the stormix site, the user might
> be faced with unsolvable dependency-problems or conflicts in the
> future.
deb ftp://ftp.stormix.com/pub/storm potato main
But anyway, it's right what you're saying.

As a last reason to drop stormpkg: There are no sources on
ftp.stormix.com, at least not in their potato tree where they should
remain. No sources, no include.

This issue is finished so far now, I would say, it would take to long to
contact stormix and ask them for sources (they must have changed from
slink to potato, as far as I've seen it yesterday).

MfG/Regards, Alexander

--
Alexander Reelsen   http://joker.rhwd.de
ref@linux.com       GnuPG: pub 1024D/F0D7313C  sub 2048g/6AA2EDDB