HylaFAX vulnerability

From: Marcin Dawcewicz (miv@IIDEA.PL)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 03:22:20 CEST

    I've found classical format bug while I was playing with HylaFAX
    server (v4.1 beta2):

    $ [ -u /usr/sbin/hfaxd ] && /usr/sbin/hfaxd -q '%n%n' # SUID uucp
    Segmentation fault

    It crashes while calling syslog() with user supplied fmt. Looks nasty.

    Sorry, I have no working exploit, I won't have one and I have no idea if
    there are other similar bugs in HylaFAX. I just taught it will be nice to
    bring this case to your attention, guys. Maybe someone, who has more time
    than I have can do a little more research.

    --
    greets,

    -= Marcin Dawcewicz =- mailto: miv@gnu.org.pl "When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free"