Volunteers for an open book on C programming under Linux?

From: Ben Logan (blogan@newcreature.org)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 03:16:12 CEST

Hello,

I've looked the web over for an open book on C programming, but have
been unable to turn one up. While there are quite a few good
tutorials, they just aren't--and really can't be by the very nature of
a tutorial--very comprehensive.

The glibc info and manual pages are very helpful, but I'm _very_ new
to C and they assume some basic knowledge of the language. Of course,
there have been many good books written on the subject, but I can't
afford them and my local library doesn't have any (even though I
suggested several to them in a nicely formatted, LyX generated paper
:).

I'm sure my situation is fairly common, and feel that many people
would benefit from a comprehensive, open book about C; particularly
programming in C under Gnu/Linux. It would not only describe the C
language itself, but also make and makefiles; the preprocessor;
building seperate libraries; the linker; and the compiler itself. Of
course, I'm probably leaving things out because I really don't know
what I'm talking about. :)

I understand that the project would be a massive undertaking for one
person. That's why I suggest an open project. I know there are
thousands of C programmers out there (many on this list) with all the
knowledge necessary to write such a book. After all, look at the
Gnu/Linux operating system!

Okay, this message has gotten long. My question is two-fold: Does
anyone know of an existing project like this? And if not, would
anyone be interested in helping start one? Even though I'm one of the
ones who would benefit from reading it, I could help in certain areas.
I can write reasonably well, and have some programming experience in
higher level languages (and a little assembler...but not much) so I
can help explain the basics of programming.

I would appreciate any feedback,
Ben Logan
-