Re: Listing Live GNU/Linux at gnu.org

From: Sascha Wilde <wilde@intevation.de>
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 16:39:07 CEST

John Sullivan <johns@fsf.org> writes:

> Hello Sascha,

Hi John,

first of all I want to apologize for my late reply, I was on holidays
for the past three weeks...

> RMS suggested that I contact you to discuss whether we should have
> Live GNU/Linux (http://live-gnu-linux.ffis.de/index.html) listed at
> <http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions>.

That would be great. But the current version of the Live GNU/Linux CD
is somewhat outdated. I'm currently working on a new Morphix based
Live CD for one of our projects and it is planed to use it as a basis
to build a new GNU/Linux Live CD, too -- but I have no release date
yet...

> As you probably know, that's a very short list, because we want to
> make sure that we only list distributions that are committed to
> free-software-only distributions.
>
> Can you fill me in on the criteria that were used to include and
> exclude programs from Live GNU/Linux?

The criteria was to have a Live CD with as much applications as
possible while keeping it complete Free (following the definitions of
the FSF for Free Software). Basically it was a Knoppix Live CD with
all proprietary and uncertain components removed.

> I've subscribed to the the mailing list, and we can continue this
> discussion there if you like. Feel free to bounce this over there or
> reply including the list if that's easiest.

[x] done

cheers
sascha

--
Sascha Wilde                                 Intevation GmbH
wilde@intevation.de                          intevation@intevation.de