Kernel hacker for Debian m68k hardware needed

From: Ingo Juergensmann <ij@2004.bluespice.org>
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 09:44:19 CEST

Hi!

LinuxTag is a great place to meet all kind of developers. So, I think it
might be worthwhile to ask if there will be some interested people to work
on helping the m68k port of Debian.

The story so far:
- Debian project bought an 060 accelerator card ealier this year to be
able to setup another buildd/developer accessible machine. Crest is quite
often loaded as being the only public machine for DDs to logon. Kullervo
is restricted and accounts are granted on request, though. This is where
the new machine should jump in.

- the card is a Wildfire060 card for the Amiga 2000 series. It has (and
this part is important ;) as well SCSI as Ethernet onboard. The card is
known to be the best and fastest accelerator board for the Amiga. The
memory bandwidth is significantly higher than on the accel board in crest
and kullervo.

- unfortunately, the card is not yet supported.

- the card carries a PCI bus itself to which the NIC and SCSI controllers
are connected. This should give excellent performance while leaving as
much CPU for the user as possible.

- the actual problem now is: as long as the onboard SCSI and NIC being
unsupported, there are an A2091 SCSI hostadapter and a lent Ariadne NIC in
that machine. While booting the kernel it panics on accessing the SCSI bus
- most probably because the driver interferes with the unsupported
hardware somehow.

- here's a picture of the boot error: http://buildd.net/pix/wildfire-boot.jpg

So, well, that's the story so far...
What I'm (or the project ;) searching for, is a person who has interest in
receiving the whole machine and wants do the necessary porting.
Because of the dimensions and weight of an A2000, I would prefer if there
could be found someone from northern Germany. The machine is located in
Rostock and is intented to be hosted there in the final end as well.
The machine includes:
- A2000
- Wildfire060
- 128 MB
- Ariadne NIC 10 Mbps
- A2091 SCSI
- SCSI drives
- Flickerfixer and/or appropriate monitor.

DDs from Berlin, Hamburg, Hannover or such would be best suited, because I
could bring the machine to the DD then by car.

I would be happy if you could help and support me and the project in
finding someone who has interest in doing some kernel hacking for that
machine. Maybe you can find someone appropriate during your many talks at
LT?

--
Ciao...          //
      Ingo     \X/