Syslog dropping messages, udp buffer full

From: Lynch, Jonathan <Jonathan.Lynch_at_fairmontstate.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:07:28 +0000

Hi here,

We have been using remote syslogging on RHEL5. However, after starting the service, it takes longer and longer for the messages to appear in the log file until they are missed entirely, or only part of a set of messages will be received.

I checked the udp stats, and it showed many UDP receive errors. However, a newwork dump reveals that the packets are reaching the computer properly.

I tried increasing the udp buffers, but that merely increased the time it takes before the buffer gets full and messages start getting dropped.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathan