Re: questions/suggestion "RAM-only" log support in sysklogd?

From: Martin Schulze <joey_at_infodrom.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:05:35 +0100

Hi!

guy keren wrote:
> >>i was looking for a way to have some log messages (mostly debug
> >>messages, that i don't want to flood the disk normally) be stored in
> >>a cyclic memory buffer, instead of logged into a file - and only
> >>have this buffer dumped to disk upon demand (e.g. when there is a
> >>problem that requires debugging).
> >
> >I don't know of such a feature.
> >
> >However, using a named pipe and attaching a postprocessing process
> >(e.g. Perl or Python script) you should easily be able to achieve this
> >feature.
>
> i was considering this. my main concern with pipes (perhaps i'm
> simply paranoid) is that they have a limited buffer space, and if
> the external process doesn't work fast enough at some point - it
> could hurt the working of syslogd. however, i will re-consider this.

Hmm. Interesting point. That would assume your system is horribly
under load. In that case you should consider using a C program for
processing instead of a high-level scripting language if you should
go this path.

> do you know if it is possible to modify the amount of buffer space
> allocated for a specific named-pipe in the system? i'll conduct a
> search and see if this is configurable.

I have not yet seen a sysctl to increase the buffer size. On Linux
the size of the buffer size should be 64kB.

( ) go ahead, you can blog everything in this mail
( ) please don't blog the personal stuff in this mail
( ) this conversation never happened