other syslog implementation eventually forked from sysklogd

From: Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 17:36:56 CET

Hi list,

I hope this is the right forum for my mail. Please accept my apologies
if I am wrong.

I (currently) have forked a new syslogd from the sysklogd package. As
you folks take care of the package, I wanted to both let you know and
ask for some advise.

I have forked (and not patched) because I have planned and already done
considerable changes to the syslogd part of sysklogd. So far I think
this is not appropriate for the sysklogd package, but if there is
interest, I would be willing to contribute the changes to an e.g. 2.0.0
release of sysklogd.

The modifications currently done include the ability to freely configure
output formats (for each file, remote logging, user message and so on).
Also, MySQL support is being added for those that need it. On my todo
list is support for the upcoming new syslog RFCs, tcp based syslog and -
at a later stage - support for BEEP-based RFC 3195 (syslog-reliable). I
will probably change the base design so that syslogd will work with
multiple threads.

My initial changes are not yet fully completed, but if you like you can
have a look at the CVS on soureforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsyslog/

I am right now preparing for releasing the initial debug version to a
couple of folks interested in logging. I hope to be able to do so within
the next week.

Now my actual question: do you think it would make sense to include this
as part of the sysklogd package? Or is it actually better to fork it, as
I have done initially?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Rainer Gerhards