Re: Attempts to translate printk/syslog msgs into non-English languages

From: Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 18:32:33 CET

Larry Kessler wrote:
> If anyone has experience with "internationalization" and is willing to discuss
> their experience, please post to this mailing list or contact me directly. Also,
> experiences with gettext (http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/gettext.html) would
> also be of interest.

I seem to recall that translation of kernel messages was deprecated
because it will result in much strange bug reports the developers
can't parse anymore.

Even though I'm also working on l10n issues (web pages, documentation,
manpages, news) I would like to ask people not to translate kernel
strings.

If I misunderstood your intentions, please be more verbose.

Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.