Re: Zap ugly/useless/confusing "register" and "auto" keywords.

From: John Hughes (john@calva.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 17:31:44 CEST

> Some explanations to your patches would be helpful considering
> them for apply.

Whoops, sorry.

So far they're minor cleanups, not much interesting in themselves,
but they are in preparation for merging some performance improvements
I have in my private syslogd.

In general they tend to make the code a little more like the current
BSD version of syslogd. (Just a little, not too much!).

1. Minor fixes to syslogd.c to make it compile on non-Linux systems.
   This patch is buggy - I'll send a new version soon.

2. Replace the array Files by the linked list like in the original
   BSD version - takes less code, gets rid of some #ifdefs

3. We don't need to check if f_file == -1 if we've already seen
   that f_type is not F_UNUSED.

4. The register keyword doesn't mean anything interesting for
   modern compilers.

I'm sending them as seperate patches just to make things easier.

The first one is wrong, a new version of it will come soon.