Broken Syslog

Subject: Broken Syslog
From: R. W. Rodolico (rodo@dailydatainc.com)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 07:40:41 CET

I'm having a problem with syslog. I am using syslogd 1.3-3#33.1. For
some reason it can not create /dev/log. The result is all of my logging
is going to the console instead of to the log files. I have tried
sending a message to the logs using the logger program, but have the
same result.

I know very little about syslog, and have tried the debian isp mailing
list, but everyone there is as lost as I am. My only option if no one
can help me is to take down a working system and re-install as I am
very lost here.

FYI, I am using the 2.2.17 kernel, with RAID support patched in. I have
installed from the Debian potato distribution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

R. W. Rodolico
Daily Data, Inc.
POB 140465
Dallas TX 75214-0465
214.827.2170

It appears I could be pursuing an untamed ornithoid to no purpose.
            --Brent Spiner as Data, Star Trek: The Next Generation