Re: Next try: sysklogd 1.4

Subject: Re: Next try: sysklogd 1.4
From: G.W. Wettstein (greg@wind.enjellic.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 18:06:19 CEST

On Sep 19, 2:36am, Solar Designer wrote:

> No, I'm not suggesting to add the support back and risk introducing
> even more bugs into this overly-complicated code, but the problems
> should be documented (at least mention that sysklogd 1.4+ is not to
> be used on libc 5 systems).

Just a couple of comments. My life is now straightened out enough
that I hope to come up with a version 2.0 of sysklogd in the near
future. I hope to do this in conjunciton with the 2.4 kernel release.

I am still using libc5 in a number of production systems. I think
that dropping support for these libraries without a major revision
bump, ie 2.0, might be a bit premature.

I would have to sit and think a bit to determine whether or not there
was some method at runtime of figuring out what was usable or what
wasn't usable. It seems that auto-sensing and/or a command line
switch would be a better alternative to breaking the libc5 systems.

> Also, the now released(?) sysklogd-1.4 still tries to use a stream
> socket in its own syslog.c (why does it need one?), which is used by
> klogd. I suspect that klogd is once again broken by this change.

When all this was put together the library version of syslog.c
disallowed logging from kern.* facilities. A modified version was
needed in order for klogd to route messages into the syslog system.

> Signed,
> Solar Designer

}-- End of excerpt from Solar Designer

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D. Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave. Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND 58102 development.
PH: 701-281-4950 WWW: http://www.enjellic.com
FAX: 701-281-3949 EMAIL: greg@enjellic.com
"Try to remove the color-problem by restarting your computer several
times."
                                -- Microsoft-Internet Explorer
                                   README.TXT