Report from Chemnitzer Linux-Tage 2011 (CLT-2011)

From: Luca Capello <luca_at_pca.it>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:03:17 +0200

Hi there!

As previously announced [1], Debian was present at the Chemnitzer
Linux-Tage 2011 [2] on the week-end of 19th and 20th March.

[1] <http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/%3c201101301351.48735.waja%40cyconet.org%3e>
[2] <http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2011/live/691>

Three different talks were given by Debian people, but they were not
specific to the Debian ecosystem: the first was about "one year with
OpenStreetMap" from an user point of view [3], while the two others
showed various UNIX command-line helpers [4] and useful tools [5].

[3] <http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2011/vortraege/636>
[4] <http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2011/vortraege/607>
[5] <http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2011/vortraege/608>

At the booth there was a demo machine running BabelBox [6], thus showing
the Debian Installer in different languages, and also xpenguins [7],
which had the interesting effect of pulling visitors to the booth.

[6] <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/BabelBox>
[7] <http://packages.debian.org/xpenguins>

No less than 13 Debian people were at one point or another helping out
at the booth, either showing the merchandise available (e.g. the new
black SpaceFun/squeeze T-Shirt [8] or mugs) or answering questions of
any kind: from general ones (what is new in Debian, etc.) to very
specific problems users were encountering. The presence of friends from
debianforum.de [9] just next to our booth was of a great value when
answering particular "difficult" questions.

[8] <http://debian.ch/merchandise>
[9] <http://debianforum.de/>

The two Linux New Media Awards 2011 ("Best Open Source Server
Distribution" and "Outstanding Contribution to Open Source/ Linux/Free
Software") Debian recently won at CeBIT [10] at the beginning of this
month were sitting on the booth desk [11]: they attracted a lot of
attention and, because of that (but surely not only), we also received a
lot of "thanks for Debian" statements from visitors, which is quite an
encouragement to continue working on our distribution.

[10] <http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/%3c20110304122236.GA19593%40melusine.alphascorpii.net%3e>
[11] <http://www.flickr.com/photos/95546688@N00/5544198840/in/photostream/>

Thanks to the German LinuxUser magazine [12], an official 32-bit DVD-Rom
for Debian 6.0.0/squeeze was available for our beloved users: beside
being labeled with the SpaceFun artwork [13], the DVD-Rom was produced
with the environment in mind, given that it features the EcoDisc
technology [14] to reduce carbon footprint.

[12] <http://www.linux-user.de/>
[13] <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/SpaceFun#Box_and_Label_for_CDs_or_DVDs>
[14] <http://ecodisc.org/>

Two blog posts from booth staff are available in German [15][16],
together with one Flickr photostream [17]. Please check the CLT webpage
about pictures and blog posts [18], too.

[15] <http://blog.waja.info/2011/03/20/small-announcement-chemnitzer-linuxtage-2011/>
[16] <http://noqqe.de/archives/1538>
[17] <http://www.flickr.com/photos/95546688@N00/tags/clt/>
[18] <http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2011/info/fotos/>

The booth staff would like to thank all the organizers for the immense
care they put in this event and also all the people that in one way or
another helped during these two days. Finally, thank all the users that
support Debian: it was a pleasure to meet old and new friends from
Debian and other Free Software communities, we recommend future
occurrences of this event to all interested people.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca