Re: FOSDEM 2011, second CfT

From: Wouter Verhelst <wouter_at_debian.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 23:36:27 +0100

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 03:08:24PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Montag, 6. Dezember 2010, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > At the end of September, I called for talk submissions for the FOSDEM 2011
> > distributions miniconf. Unfortunately, to date, the number of
> > submissions (from Debian and other distributions alike) has been
> > abysmally low. It would be a shame if the two rooms which the miniconf
> > was assigned for two days would be mostly unused.
>
> maybe I just see this as a proof of what I believe anyway...

Same here.

> but it seems to me that this can be explained by what I also think: the
> shared dev rooms are not particularily attractive. Somehow they lack the
> community feeling the Debian room had IME..

Last year, the distro miniconf only succeeded because I started
screaming around half november. And then still it wasn't really all that
great, IMAO.

It might be that all the interesting "pull out of a hat" talks had been
done last year, and now nobody can come up with something interesting
for a cross-distro talk anymore.

> I'm also not sure if there are video volunteers from the DebConf/Debian video
> team. Just doing video for the Debian talks is rather unpractical (and not
> nice), while OTOH doing for a talk in which one has no interest at all is
> also not top on the list, when there are 1000 other more interesting things
> to do. What do other "video people" think (and plan)?

I'm sure we can find some more volunteers if we plan a bit better this
time around. Should I ask on the dist2011 mailinglist?

> Of course, we Debian, could hack the dev rooms by submitting tons of Debian
> talks, but... hm.

Right.

> > Therefore, I'd like to reiterate my request for talks. Anything is
> > welcome, as long as it involves distribution work.
> >
> > If I may make some suggestions for interesting talk proposals that would
> > fit the miniconf well:
> > - Our new kFreeBSD port
>
> afaik Axel will volunteer for that one.

Yes, he told me so -- I didn't check my (very short) list of talks
sufficiently. Perhaps I should've done so. Oops.

> > - Something about the new v3 source formats
> > - Piuparts, the PTS, buildd, popcon, the website and webwml, or anything
> > about any other piece of infrastructure,
>
> I'd certainly be happy to give a small talk about piuparts. I'd be really
> interesting to hear something about the status of the new website, best with
> an announcement about it being live ;-)

Thanks. Lars had been considering doing so, but eventually decided not
to; it'd be great if you could do it instead.

> > - A round table about strategies for something which every distribution
> > must do, such as releasing, squashing bugs, compiling software, or,
> > heck, marketing,
>
> I'd be interested in this...

Me too, but it'd need someone to drive that effort. Are you
volunteering?

> > <plan type="evil">
> > - last but not least, if all else fails, we can just flood the
> > distributions miniconf with Debian-specific talks and hope that nobody
> > notices if the "distributions" miniconf has turned into the Debian
> > Devroom(s!), v2.
> > </plan>
>
> or that ;)

:-)