Re: FOSDEM

From: Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 15:55:07 +0100

Wouter Verhelst <wouter_at_debian.org> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> FOSDEM preparations are firing up again; I've just requested a stand for
> the project at the next edition (5th and 6th of February, 2011).
>
> During previous years, we've always had some merchandise available for
> sale, and also had some machine that would demo something interesting
> Debian-related.
>
> I hope that by the time FOSDEM rolls around, squeeze will have released,
> which means we'll have an official release of Debian/kFreeBSD around by
> that time. As such, I'd like to suggest that we have a demo machine of
> kFreeBSD (possibly with some CD's or DVD's that we can hand out)
> available at the Debian booth.
>
> Thoughts?

As discussed with a few people during LinuxTag in Berlin this year I
think CD/DVDs are not that usefull.

Instead it would be greate to create USB Sticks with Debian Installer on
them and sell them (below cost if enough sponsoring is found). An USB
Stick is more likely to boot todays systems and can be easily updated or
reused for other things when the installer becomes too old. CD/DVDs you
just have to throw away.

Has anyone worked on a multiarch boot image featuring i386, amd64,
kfreebsd-i386 and kfreebsd-amd64?

> Also, I've sent out a call for talks for the distribution miniconf (that
> has taken the place of developers' rooms for distributions since last
> year); while some people have suggested talks, there's still a load of
> space available there. I'd also like to note that while the focus now
> inevitably lies on cross-distribution talks, it's not unlikely that
> Debian-specific talks will be accepted (though there obviously won't be
> as much time for those as was the case up to two editions ago).
>
> Thanks,

MfG
        Goswin