Re: [loki@fosdem.org: FOSDEM 2010: Distribution Miniconf]

From: Pascal Bleser <loki_at_fosdem.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:49:31 +0100

On 10/28/2009 07:35 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 01:38:04PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>>> If I'm not the only one feeling that way, I think we can try to make a
>>> more reasonable proposal to the FOSDEM organizer: having the devroom
>>> *and* the cross-distro meeting room. That can be coped with a simple
>>> room: if you want a devroom for your own, you should participate in the
>>> cross-distro room *as* *well* filling a number X of slots.
>>
>> Given the above, and given that this would involve one "shared" devroom
>> *plus* a single devroom for each and every distribution, I can't agree
>> that this is "a more reasonable proposal".

Indeed :)

> OK, by reading your detailed explanation I now imagine that the room
> shortage is so severe that they cannot afford more than one devroom for
> all participating distros. If that is the case, obviously this is the
> only viable solution. I was imagining / hoping that a less consistent
> reduction in distro-related devrooms was enough, according to that I was
> seeing my proposal as "more reasonable" in the sense that it required
> less room, but still not as few as one single room.
>
> If there is room for one more room (pun not intended), I believe that
> all distros would benefit from having a time-share of the extra room to
> be handled with a distro-specific schedule. If there is not, obviously
> we will cope with that.

We could imagine something like that but one room to time-share just
wouldn't be enough. If Debian would like to have that, then there is no
reason we would deny it to the others. And if we have openSUSE, Fedora,
CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu (pending), Arch (pending), Gentoo, Exherbo and
Mandriva at FOSDEM 2010, that's 7 to 9 distro projects. Cannot possibly
time-share a single room on 2 days amongst that many participants.

We could already have more specialized topics as we will use 2, 3 or 4
rooms (4 currently being the upper limit IMO, although I'd much prefer
using 3 rooms max for the distro projects), such as a half-day track on
packaging, with one room being about RPM/zypp/yum/smart/..., the 2nd
room around dpkg/apt.
Also, there is absolutely no problem with proposing and holding sessions
about things that are specific to Debian. The difference is that it
should be geared more towards showcasing it to other distributions,
outlining the pros and cons, discussing with others how they (solve
those problems|accomplish those features), etc...

We are already providing around 20 rooms in total, and we cannot expand
beyond that, because
- - it would require more staff
- - there are no rooms nearby worth using
- - rooms that are far away are very problematic regarding their Internet
uplink (we cannot rely on ULB's network, too unpredictable), as well
as.. well.. being far away
- - having 250 sessions in 2 days is already more than enough ;)

cheers
- --
  -o) Pascal Bleser <loki@fosdem.org> http://www.fosdem.org
  /\\ FOSDEM 2010 :: 6 + 7 February 2010 in Brussels
 _\_v Free and Opensource Software Developers European Meeting