Re: using Debian money to buy and handle booth stuff (Re: Disappointment about the appearance of our CLT booth)

From: Michael Banck <mbanck_at_debian.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:34:16 +0100

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 05:20:22PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Montag, 23. März 2009, Michael Banck wrote:
> > So I guess it is a matter of finding sponsors and pointing a CD/DVD
> > printer company to the .iso, plus see about shipping.
>
> sponsors or we could even pay for them on our own.

I am not sure - this might eat a considerable chunk of our funds at
FFIS. So if possible, I would think we should try to find some sponsors
to at least cover a part of the expenses.

> > Even though a beamer is high on the list for about every event we have,
> > I am not convinced it's really necessary.
> [3 more paragraphs about why a beamer is not really useful atm]
>
> I wrote "banner", not "beamer" :-)

Oops!

> > There are ideas floating around (a customized BB, a rolling OOo
> > presentation, the d-i babelbox), but nothing which is fire-and-forget
> > for booth personell right now.
>
> babelbox is actually in a state where its fire and forget.
>
> > As Andreas said, we need a good Lenny poster.
>
> I think a(nother) poster which will not be outdated with squeeze would also be
> useful :-)

Yes. We once had a A0 version of the Debian flyer, but it got lost a
couple of years ago. I can get another one printed maybe, but maybe we
should have something with less text on it.

> But you didnt even touch my main question: what do you think of Debian
> spending 5000 USD (out of >100K it has) for helping preparing booths for the
> next 2 years? (I assume in 2 years the box needs to be updated and we have
> spent all money, ie. if we assume 5000 USD I would take 3-3.5k to buy stuff
> for the box, and the rest to send the box around europe.)

Well, I didn't touch it because I don't have a big opinion on it.
Shipping the box around europe would require a lot more cooperation by
"local teams" (not that we really have those formalized either) than
there is currently.

I think we should steam-line the events management first, like having a
dedicated team which support local organizers by providing a central
point of contact for them. We can probably do this on a country basis
first. It looks like the english and french "local teams" are working
pretty well, so it might make sense to setup a german-only coordination
list and irc channel (e.g. in this thread some discussions related to
CLT from #debian.de was referenced, but I don't read its scroll-back
regularly these days, while I would follow a low-traffic events channel
I guess)

If that works, we can think about assembling a box. In general I think
a box is a good idea, anyway.

Michael