Re: using Debian money to buy and handle booth stuff (Re: Disappointment about the appearance of our CLT booth)

From: Michael Banck <mbanck_at_debian.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:57:51 +0100

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 04:39:23PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > I asked the FOSDEM and Cebit
> > booth organizers whether they could use it, but the booths were too
> > small each time for it apparently.
>
> Having been at FOSDEM and at last years CeBIT booth, I disagree.

Well, I was there (FOSDEM) as well and thought it would have fit, but it
was hard to tell beforehand. Anyway, that's past now, what's the next
event coming up? LinuxTag?

> On Sonntag, 22. März 2009, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > Where do we have CDs that could have been send?
>
> (AFAIK we dont have any yet.)
>
> Maybe this would be a good opportunity to spend some Debian money on
> (see thread on -vote), to produce 1-2000 lenny DVDs or so?

Now that we have reasonable multi-arch netinst-CDs and multi-arch DVDs,
the effort to produce them should be greatly reduced compared to earlier
LinuxTag editions where Joerg spent countless hours mastering them.

So I guess it is a matter of finding sponsors and pointing a CD/DVD
printer company to the .iso, plus see about shipping.

> Also I think it would be a good idea to spend Debian money on buying a
> shippable case, stuff it with booth stuff (like a banner,

Even though a beamer is high on the list for about every event we have,
I am not convinced it's really necessary. Booth sizes seem to go down
in general, and you need not only a beamer but also a canvas or
something similar to actually use it, plus the space.

And then, we'd need something to display. Just showing the Debian
homepage on the standard GNOME/KDE desktop doesn't warrant that.

There are ideas floating around (a customized BB, a rolling OOo
presentation, the d-i babelbox), but nothing which is fire-and-forget
for booth personell right now.

I think it makes maybe more sense to have a reasonably sized TFT display
available.

> some posters,

As Andreas said, we need a good Lenny poster.

> a money box, laminated pricelists and and and) and then also
> use Debian money to ship the box from event to event. Maybe even put a
> small demo machine (without display..) in it...

We still have a donated demo machine (the former GNOME.de demo maschine
I think) we used at Systems 2008 and 2009, but the casing is falling off
all the time and the DVD/CD writer looked broken last time we tried.
But it might be better than nothing.

Michael