OOXML Call for Action: get organized

From: Geert Stappers <stappers_at_stappers.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:46:40 +0200

Hello,

As other postings to the events list,
is this posting neither about coding nor about packaging.

It is about having free documents in the future.

- ----- Forwarded message from Wiebe van der Worp <wiebe_at_vrijschrift.org> -----

From: Wiebe van der Worp <wiebe_at_vrijschrift.org>
To: Mensen die willen bouwen aan Vrijschrift <kern_at_vrijschrift.org>
Subject: [Vrijschrift-Kern] OOXML Call for Action: get organized
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:29:12 +0200

Excuses als je deze al ontvangen hebt... Doorsturen naar internationale
lijsten wordt uitermate op prijs gesteld, groetnis!

Please forward this message to other appropriate lists around the world...

In the current process of making OOXML an ISO standard the national
standardization bodies are involved. Unfortunately the free information
/ software movement is almost not participating in the OOXML committees
in many countries. This results in a threatening and dangerous situation.

And the situation is even worse:

    * First, some decisions are already taken and we can't turn back the
clock, the standardization process is continuing every minute.
    * Second, Microsoft is represented in the standardization institute
in your country by themselves and probably some "stake holding" companies.
    * Third, to influence the process you must become member of a
committee and that takes time and costs money.

Having said this I hope you agree dark clouds have gathered above us. It
was a smart step of Microsoft to continue the fast track procedure
knowing we are not organized enough to counter them right now.

So what can we do? No, what must be done!

    * Get organized: there is an English spoken mail list at
http://lists.scriptumlibre.org/listinfo/ooxml, join it.
    * We have to find out who are participating in your country. Make an
entry at http://ooxml.scriptumlibre.org and publish it.
    * Then we have to restore the balance at places where it is needed most.
          o Seek committee members who are on our side.
          o And or join your national committee.

Your help is urgently needed and there is no time to loose.

Thank you!

- ----- End forwarded message -----

Cheers
Geert Stappers