Re: FOSDEM feedback

From: Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen_at_wolffelaar.nl>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 16:58:56 +0100

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 04:39:31PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Those of you who made it to FOSDEM will have noticed me asking for
> feedback. So far I've only received one mail with comments, so I guess
> that must mean it's been a great FOSDEM for more people than just
> myself and that I should (mostly) go on as I've been doing for now.

It was great. Thanks for helping organising it all!

> So, there we are, I need to find a different way to organize the booth
> at FOSDEM for next year. Any suggestions?

I do think the money handling/security seemed inadequate. I think we
*must* properly skim the money box on a regular basis, for example to
one of those wallet-on-a-rope thingies you can hang around your neck
under your clothes -- the metal box would then only be used to keep
adequate smallish change. Sure, nothing has gone wrong yet, but we also
don't want it to happen in the future. It would be seriously very
disappointing if something big would go wrong.

Also, I think there should be a pricelist of all items for sale, on which
there can then also be brief instructions for booth personnel
where needed (for example, brief info on what hardware stuff we're
showing off so that we can actually tell people what it is) -- there
wasn't at all times someone available with full price knowledge. Also
the actual booth-duty schedule would be useful to have on hardcopy at
the booth.

I do think longer shifts can be possible, but would take care that
people might need to suddenly run off anyway (it happened), and then
they should be able to easily move the duty to someone else present. As
long as there's a price- and instructionlist, and it's known which
people are trusted/instructed to do booth duty, that shouldn't be a
problem.

But again, on the whole I think it was pretty good organised, so thanks
to all involved.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
Jeroen_at_wolffelaar.nl (also for Jabber & MSN; ICQ: 33944357)