Re: CeBIT booth

From: Robert Ribnitz <robert.ribnitz@insa.ch>
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 22:04:48 CET

Wouter Verhelst wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:21:44PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>only in German, but we should take this serious. Perhaps some
>>people have a different kind of humor than we at the Debian booth:
>>
>> http://linuxlog.de/item/cebit2005ernuechterndeeindrueckegrosseerwartungen
>>

>To the benefit of us not well versed in German, could someone tell me
>what this is all about?

Ok, I'll very briefly summarise the "page" (please note: I was not
present at CeBIT, and I cannot comment on the event otherwise)

- Linux Enthusiast makes his way from Darmstadt to Hannover, needing to
get up at 3am to get there in time
- Linux enthusiast finds Debian wallpaper ("sex sells - good
avertising",
http://www.darkrock.co.uk/gallery/art/cindy_margolis_uses_debian.png )
printed in magazine quite clever, and and takes his pilgrimage to the
Debian Booth (H18) in LinuxPark.
- On the way he comes across the Ubuntu booth, has a stimulating
conversation, and takes one of those ubuntu install sets for x86, and
one for amd64
- Information: New ubuntu version mid april, till then, get acaqainmted
with system. upgrading shouldnt pose too many hassles
- Finally found the debian booth H18, it looks smallish and crowded. 3
people present.
- Discussion develops only slowly, and is ended aprubply with something
like : "Take the real thing", and one of those well-known
sarge-installer cds once those discussing behold the ubuntu-cds
- The debian people no longer seemed keen on discussion, only hatred
(towards someone using the "wrong distribution") seems present

- Other than those, the Cebit- linux event seemed dominated by magazines
keen on selling subscriptions, and enterprises into linux courses and
linux support
- Knoppix 3.8 (jointly edited by Klaus Knopper and CT magazine) seemed
to be present in pallets. Very present at the booth of CT magazine

- Disappointed Linux user looks forward to the next Cebit and meeting
enthusiasts there.

(not summarizing comments here)

Robert