Current State (10-Jan-05): LinuxDays.lu (25th/26th of January 2005)

From: Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org>
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 02:43:26 CET

Hi!

Looks like the booth becomes more concrete...

Who will come?
==============

Some people already announced that they will (or may) come:

                        Accomodation Tue, 25th Accomodation Wed, 26th
Lionel Arend N + N +
Axel Beckert (XTaran) Y + Y +
Christoph Berg (Myon) Y + Y +
Bob Hentges (maradong) N + N +
Alexander Schmehl (Tolimar) Y + Y +
Dalibor Topic (robilad) ? + Y +

(Accomodation details see also below)

Dalibor: Do you already know, if you'll arrive on Monday evening or on
Tuesday morning?

Sven, Andreas: Do you want to join us this year again?

Tolimar and I will probably come on Monday in the evening with my car
from the Rhein-Main area, but it's not yet completely sure if it will
not get early Tuesday instead. We'll probably know it during the next
days.

What Hardware do we have?
=========================

Alexander Schmehl: Barbone with Sarge, 15" TFT and Beamer.
Bob Hentges: Current cables, ethernet cables, etc.
Axel Beckert: Hamstation (Sparc 4 clone) with Sarge and a broken
                    X, some current cables and ethernet cables, too.
Christoph Berg: Sony Vaio with Sid.

Still not that much hardware. Hmmm. Maybe I can bring a Dual
Pentium/166 with 15" Monitor, which has to rebuild from scratch due to
a disk crash. Plans are Sarge, Software-RAID (Mirroring) and maybe
Kernel 2.6 (if it still supports this old box). But I can't promise it
yet.

Furniture
---------

Bob, Lionel: What kind of furniture will the booths have. I guess each
booth needs at least 2 or 3 desks and 4 to 6 chairs. For the beamer
also a bright flat wall would be useful.

Merchandising stuff
===================

We'll probably have

+ German/English flyers (to be ordered at Noël/Jörg/Joost)
+ French/Dutch flyers (to be ordered at Joost)
+ Sarge DVDs from 2004 (Tolimar/Noël)

Tolimar/Jörg: How easy is the showcase to transport? Where do we have
to get it? How much merchandising stuff is still in there (or
thereby)? Do I need to order some more at Jörg or so?

Sleeping
========

It looks like we'll sleep at the youth hostel at Luxembourg
(http://www.youthhostels.lu/site/e/Luxembourgauberge.html) which will
cost 16,30 EUR per night and person. You'll have to bring your
national youth hostel federation or buy "welcome stamps" which cost 3
EUR extra (see http://www.youthhostels.lu/site/e/tarifs.html for
details).

Bob told me that Lionel will take care of the Debian reservations,
while he will take care of the Symlink reservations. I would really
prefer it, if you book the rooms at the youth hostel _together_ for
both groups, because IMO reserving rooms seperately make no big sense.
(I mean, why else do we divide organisation of both booths by tasks
and not by groups... :-)

Over all, we are 7 people who need accomodation. 3 from Debian (1 yet
unknown if 1 or 2 nights, rest 2 nights), 3 from Symlink (2 nights)
and me from both (2 nights). The biggest rooms in the youth hostel is
unfortunately only 6 beds.

So I would suggest, that we try to reserve two of the 4 bed rooms with
shower an toilet (as mentioned on
http://www.youthhostels.lu/site/e/Luxembourgauberge.html), each for
two nights (Mon-Wed). So we have one spare bed reserved if there'll
come an additional person.

Lionel, Bob: Can you please also try to find out, how much it will
cost to cancel one of the rooms for the night from Mon-Tue to be sure
and if we have to pay for 8 beds if we only use 7.

At least it shouldn't make a difference in the prices according to the
price list, if we take beds in a 4 or 6 bed room.

So if most people are already there on late Monday, I would suggest
that we go out for dinner together on Monday evening. Has any of the
locals ideas, where we could have dinner? Probably something close to
the youth hostel?

Some replies:
=============

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:59:00AM +0100, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > Bob, can we expect some getting some hardware lend from the organizors
> > as last year? Do you still have an uptodate Debian mirror?
>
> I could slurp the latest sarge from MPII's mirror and bring it along on
> a DVD or two.

Bob's Debian mirror went up in smoke, he told me, so this wouldn't be
the badest idea.

> My own bizarre hardware stack hasn't grown either (sh3, hpcmips, sparc),
> but I'm looking forward to testing the new installer on your Hamstation ;)

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it's a box to test the upgrade. The
only problem left is a broken keyboard driver under X...

> > > Dalibor: BTW, we still owe our host from 2003 a set of Sarge CDs...
> > > (We thought, we'll send him a set of CDs after Sarge has become
> > > stable... Well, we once thought, we could send it to him as a
> > > christmas present. For christmas 2003... But I guess, it'll be a
> > > good christmas present for 2004... ;-)
> >
> > Well, I hope it at least will become a good christmas present for
> > 2005... *gd&r*
>
> Well, there is 3.0r4 :) and with the current sarge it's a spindle full
> of CDs :)

Ok, can you bring some burnt of the MPII mirror? Or shall we take one
of the summer 2004 DVDs as present?

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 04:31:57PM +0100, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> * Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> [050103 11:59]:
>
> > >Bob, can we expect some getting some hardware lend from the organizors
> > >as last year? Do you still have an uptodate Debian mirror?
> >
> > I could slurp the latest sarge from MPII's mirror and bring it along on
> > a DVD or two.
>
> IIRC we have still Sarge i386 + powerpc DVDs from LinuxTag 2004. Not
> uptodate, but should work for most people ;)

Well, for giving away, those are fine. But for installing new boxes
(if we will install any), IMHO it would be good to have a quite actual
copy. (Which Dalibor and I can give as a present to our host from last
year at the end of the event. :-)

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 07:50:34PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > In general, it would be nice to have at least one (working) box with
> > > Sarge and one with Sid and appropriately big monitors.
> >
> > I totally acknowledge that we should at least have a box for every
> > release, namely: stable, testing and unstable
>
> Well, i doubt it makes much sense to have both testing and unstable, since
> this near the release, these two are probably quite near.

Hmmm, this seems to change from time to time. If GNOME 2.8 wouldn't
have come to Sarge I would have strongly disagreed. But we already
have at least one Sarge box from Tolimar and a Sid Vaio from Myon.

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 05:51:48PM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:
> > Joost, are there still Debian flyers left? If the number hasn't
> > changed since 16th of December, could you send us 40 of each, FR/NL
> > and DE/EN? Bob, can you send him your address for the flyers, so that
> > the flyers are already in Luxembourg if anything goes wrong on my
> > side?
>
> Yes, I still have these, see http://mdcc.cx/~joostvb/flyer/ . Give me
> a snailmail address and I´ll send them your way. Beware: I can only
> sent them on or after monday Jan 17 (I am not at home now). But I guess
> that means they´ll be there just in time.

Bob, can you send him your snail mail address?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 11:13:17AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Joost, are there still Debian flyers left? If the number hasn't
> > changed since 16th of December, could you send us 40 of each, FR/NL
> > and DE/EN? Bob, can you send him your address for the flyers, so that
> > the flyers are already in Luxembourg if anything goes wrong on my
> > side?
>
> s/Joost/Noèl/ ?

Nope, Joost wrote a mail, that he still has a bunch of flyers left and
offered them. Especially the French/Dutch are quite useful for
Luxembourg in addition to the German/English ones.

> > Is there a possibility to get that Illiad poster with "Why Mike likes
> > Debian" (http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/mike.html)? Especially, are
> > there already copies available for selling?
>
> I don't think so, somebody would have to print that graphic.

ic.

> > Tolimar (our CEO: Chief Event Organisor ;-), Joey: What about other
> > Debian stuff (CDs, t-shirts, key holders, other posters, etc.) to
> > sell? Who can I contact for?
>
> Noèl would be best for the ayo posters since credativ offered to
> dispatch them. For the other stuff Jörg would be your friend.

I'll contact them.

> > http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/events/booth.html doesn't mention
> > things like that very detailed, although the last few debian booths I
> > saw seemed to have always the same merchandising stuff and show case.
>
> Jörg and Tolimar have access to it.

Tolimar: I've got a very big estate car... :-)

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 02:33:51PM +0100, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> Axel: German / English ones will do?

I would really prefer to have both, German and French flyers, since
there are quite a lot people who don't speak that much German. So
I would plan about 50% German/English and 50% French/Dutch flyers.

Bob, Lionel, what do you think about that ratio?

> > > Is there a possibility to get that Illiad poster with "Why Mike likes
> > > Debian" (http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/mike.html)? Especially, are
> > > there already copies available for selling?
> > I don't think so, somebody would have to print that graphic.
>
> IIRC we didn't printed some, because we only have a small scale jpg
> somewhere at infodrom.org.

ic. But where does that one poster we have, then come from? And who
has it currently. Also Noël? Or is it with the show case?

                Regards, Axel

--
Axel Beckert - abe@deuxchevaux.org - http://abe.home.pages.de/