Re: critics about our presence at LinuxTag 2004

From: Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 22:38:54 CEST

Alexander Reelsen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 03:00:12PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Why not just treat women like any other visitor? Female visitors don't
> > only stare at your ass, do they?
> hm, definately needs further research..
>
> > It's very disappointing that this (both of the above) have to be mentioned.
> Full ack.
>
> As a side note: I think I've read quite a lot (debian/lt2k mailinglist)
> about organisation of the last linuxtag events. Year by year the grade of
> occurence and appearance was raised more and more into some sort of
> professionalism. This is not a bad thing, however don't forget this is

I also noticed this, both on the Debian and on the LinuxTag part, also
for other booths. This is very good, because it demontrates that the
community doesn't consist of only sloppy hackers but also shows an
interest to properly take their products to the visitors who are
interested, hence, enlarging the community.

> still community and if some plans go on that way, you will have some sort
> of strict rules for doing booth maintenance at the debian booth in some
> years/events. If someone tells me in two or three years to exchange my
> skate sneakers with patent leather shoes or just to pull up my trousers,
> because it does not look usual, in order to help at the booth I would
> withdraw any work for any project (don't forget that most people devote

Why not only withdraw your work for this part of the project? The
other parts are mostly unaffected.

I guess some sort of compromise needs to be achieved. Neither extreme
position is healthy.

> After all, communication should be in the foreground and not other
> people's asses, breasts, clothing style, hair style or beards. Lets try
> to keep it that way.

Ack.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type: text/plain