Re: critics about our presence at LinuxTag 2004

From: Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org>
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 22:11:28 CEST

Michael Banck wrote:
> Well, perhaps it should be made perfectly clear before LT that people
> who are not on shift should not be inside of the booth.

Hmm, I thought that (a) that was logical, (b) this was indicated by
creating shifts and (c) that somebody said so before, but maybe that
was just my wishful thinking.

> Anyway, the nice idea of having official booth staff indicated by the
> official polo shirts didn't work out so well.

Out of curiosity, which part of it didnt't work out well?

> > Not a permanent solution, but workable: Have a *visible* hacking/hanging
> > out area where people can gather.
>
> Sure, but it should be seperate from the booth. This was actually the
> case last year and less so this year (no chairs/tables at all, and it
> was highly unofficial, AFAICT). I agree that we should definetely have a
> place where 2+ people can sit together with their notebooks and solve
> problems would be nice. Unfortunately, the network access at the AKK
> seemed to be less than ideal as well.

Unfortunately the unused space of the exhibition hall was used quite
differently than last year, so this became a problem. I hope that I
can provide a better solution next year.

> I think our strategy for next year should be to offer the
> non-booth-staff people a nice place to hack/relax/sleep/talk where they
> would happily go instead of staying around at the booth, where it would
> be less comfortable.

Agreed. Any ideas that don't affect loads of money?

> Also, we might want to consider pleading for a seperate 'Custom Debian
> Projects' booth right next to ours for the next LT (just like Linux
> ports), I believe a huge percentage of visitors were interested in them,
> so I think it be worthwhile to split it of for the benefit of both.

I guess, we should first decide whether such a space is needed,
i.e. did the sub-projects at the booth use enough space? Did they use
too much space judging by interested visitors?

I, as a LinuxTag organiser, do have a problem with a third (fourth?)
Debian booth. We already had Debian, Linux-Ports and Skolelinux. I'd
rather have Debian organise the booth more like the KDE project,
i.e. concentrate on core information.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type: text/plain