Re: critics about our presence at LinuxTag 2004

From: Jonathan Oxer <jon@ivt.com.au>
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 11:53:39 CEST

Hi Alexander,

Firstly thanks for all your effort in preparing the Debian presence at
LinuxTag, and thanks to everyone else who helped out with organisation,
staffing the booth, printing stuff up, arranging merchandise, etc. It
was good to see Debian so well represented, and to see so many Debian
T-shirts everywhere around the show.

> - Different people visiting talks at the DebianDay told me, that they didn't
> like the very short talks

I apologise that my talk ran under-time: I had indicated prior to the
event that I only needed a short slot, and was told it was fine to
present a shorter talk. Oh well, at least that's feedback to be used for
next time.

> them so you can use them with newer kernel versions). I you even can't
> do this, ask Joey for the code and change it in a way that he can administrate
> talks which don't fill a full hour.

Um, huh? Did you mean that I should change some code somewhere (where?)
that would allow Joey to schedule talks shorter than an hour? I don't
really follow what you mean here.

> - Some speakers prepared their talk for the wrong audience.
>
> Possible solution: If you are going to do a talk at a DebianDay next
> year, don't forget that the audience will be mainly Debian Developers
> and experienced users.

Yes, I was guilty of doing that (which is also partly why my talk was
short). Since I had not ever been to LinuxTag before (it's rather
expensive, the airfare cost me about AU$3000) all I knew about it was
from the website. I was under the impression that it was primarily a
user-conference, not a developer conference, so I prepared on the basis
that the audience would probably be technical end-users. I didn't know
that DebianDay would be so separated from the main conference that only
hardcore DDs who already know how to package kernels would go to it - I
thought it would be part of the main venue, and it would be likely that
normal conference attendees would be there.

Obviously I misunderstood what was expected of me, so I apologise that
people were disappointed with my presentation.

On another note, I thought the merchandise display at the Debian stand
was very nice. Congratulations to whoever made the arrangements for it
and source all the items available for sale. Great job!

Cheers :-)

Jonathan Oxer

--
The Debian Universe: Installing, managing and using Debian GNU/Linux
http://www.debianuniverse.com/